Wreaths, garlands, and other greenery are staple Christmas decorations in many homes. They add holiday cheer and put the finishing touches to entryways, living rooms, and more. Artificial greenery is a great option if you want something that lasts for years. They’re also good if you have allergies or worried about pets accidentally ingesting the foliage.
Balsam Hill™ offers different types of greenery and this guide shows you how to choose the best ones for your home—from sizing to care and storage.
Many of our wreaths and garlands match specific artificial Christmas trees and share the same needle, color, and texture. Some are part of collections that include swags, potted greenery, and hanging baskets. Pre-lit and unlit options are both available to suit your preferences.
An arrangement set on a circular base with a metal frame backing
An elongated arrangement with a flexible spine and can be connected with other garlands
Swag & Teardrop
A cluster arrangement designed to hang downward or lie flat
An arrangement set inside a container, usually a pot
An arrangement set inside a basket with a metal chain for hanging
Size is as important as style when decorating with greenery. Below are measuring guides to help you determine the size you need. Take note that these measurements are after fluffing and shaping.
Wreaths are typically displayed on doors, but you can hang them on walls or set them on the mantel. Balsam Hill artificial wreaths range from 18 inches to 60 inches in diameter.
18 to 26 inches
Best for standard front doors measuring 30 to 36 inches wide. You can hang two wreaths of this size on double doors.
48 to 60 inches
Ideal for wider spaces like walls with high ceilings or above large fireplace mantels.
Garlands are flexible and can be draped over doors, banisters, or mantels. Balsam Hill artificial garlands range from 6 feet to 10 feet long, and most can be linked together to make a longer garland if needed.
Watch this video and learn how to determine the right size of wreath and garland for your front door:
measure the height and width of the space where it will be displayed. A wreath
should cover 50 to 75% of the space’s width and shouldn’t be wider or taller
than the hanging surface.
- For a standard 30 to 36-inch door, allot about 6 inches of space on each side of the wreath for a simple look.
- For a more dramatic effect, choose a bigger wreath but leave at least 2 inches of space on each side.
- Use string or yarn as
a placeholder. The length you end up with is the same size you need for your
- To wrap around an object, use twice as much length of foliage as the height of the object.
- For a flat surface, allot 2 feet on each end to hang off the edge.
- To hang on a line, plan for roughly 1.5 to 2 feet of garland for every 1 foot of draping space to allow for slack.
- Make sure the garland’s thickness doesn’t under- or overwhelm the area. Consider double layers or opt for a swag or teardrop if you want a fuller look.
Our artificial greenery collection features varying levels of realism and styles. Many are designed after the foliage of real tree species, from the shape and texture of the needles to the nuances in color.
We categorize needle types according to the material used. PVC (polyvinyl chloride) needles are flat and papery, while PE (polyethylene) needles have more dimension. Some feature a combination of both—the more realistic the foliage, the higher the PE count.
Exclusive to Balsam Hill, these injection-molded PE needles mimic the structure, texture, and color variations of natural evergreens
Soft, flat, and flexible PVC needles with a more classic artificial Christmas tree look
Levels of Realism
These wreaths and garlands feature our exclusive True Needle foliage, made from PE tips that mimic the structure and color of natural evergreen needles.
Affordable wreaths and garlands with the same Balsam Hill quality, made from classic PVC needles for a full and lush look.
Christmas-themed artificial greenery with ornaments, green or frosted foliage, and other holiday accents.
Features bright and lifelike handcrafted spring blooms on a bed of mixed faux greenery.
Lush arrangements featuring artificial foliage, flowers, and fruits in autumn colors.
UV-protected to prolong color and beauty when displayed outdoors.
Balsam Hill offers pre-lit artificial greenery in several lighting options to suit your decorating style. These are professionally hand-strung with UL-listed bulbs for both indoor and outdoor use. Some models are battery-operated and include a timer for convenience.
No lights built in, so you can add your own or leave it unlit.
How to Unbox Your New Wreath & Garland
Your greenery will arrive at your door in a box. Here’s how to prepare for set-up.
- Look for the sign on the box indicating which end to open.
- Carefully cut the seal and open the box flaps.
- Pull the greenery out of its box. Take note that it’s compressed for packing and needs to be fluffed.
- Inspect and identify the plug or battery box if applicable.
- Make sure to store extra bulbs in case you need them.
How to Fluff Wreaths & Garlands
After unboxing, you’ll notice that the foliage is compressed in its packaging. Artificial wreaths and garlands need to be fluffed and reshaped to give them a fuller, realistic look.
- Straighten each tip individually and spread out the tips so they extend outward all around the wreath. Bend tips to fill any gaps.
- Adjust tips to make sure that the attached decorations are not covered under foliage.
- Lay it on a flat surface with the spine facing downward
- Straighten out bends or kinks in the wire.
- Straighten and spread out individual tips to create a full, lush effect
How to Hang Wreaths & Garlands
Balsam Hill wreaths have wire frames, while garlands have spines that support the foliage when hung on hooks or strings.
If you’re concerned about damage to surfaces, there are ways to hang wreaths and garlands without making holes.
Wreaths & Garland Hangers
Wreath and garland hangers are made specifically to go over doors so you don’t have to drill holes or hang greenery from a nail.
Watch this video on how to hang greenery on your door:
Care & Storage
How to Care for Greenery
It’s best to clean your artificial greenery before packing it away. Here’s how:
- Use a hair drier on low setting to blow dust away on the tips. Or, gently remove dust from surfaces with a feather duster.
- With a light hand, wipe the larger decorations such as leaves and ornaments individually with a microfiber cloth to remove any dirt build-up.
- De-fluff by flattening tips to make it easier to fit into the storage container.
- Cover your greenery in plastic for extra protection. Include a couple of desiccant pouches to keep it dry in case of moisture.
Pick a dark, dry, and cool place to store your greenery. Avoid areas that change temperature or exposed to direct sunlight to prevent damage.
How to Store Wreaths & Garlands
Store your foliage properly so that it retains its shape and beauty season after season.
If you don’t have the original box anymore, use specially designed storage bags. These are made of sturdy material with padding and secure openings to keep your artificial greenery intact and safe.
Watch this video for tips on how to store your wreath using our wreath storage bag:
We hope this guide helps you choose the best artificial greenery for your home. Leave a comment below for any questions or reach out to us here.