It’s our final round up for A Handmade Holiday, Balsam Hill’s design collaboration with Cricut. We’re presenting the last batch of talented bloggers who joined our exciting campaign, starting off with Angie of Country Chic Cottage.
Angie is a full-time working wife and mother to 3 children. Aside from being the creative force behind Country Chic Cottage, she also runs Crafts with Jars, and alongside a group of other bloggers, hosts crafting events on Crafty Hangouts. Her blog is full of crafting tips, tutorials, recipes, and more. Angie loves decorating with what she calls “farmhouse flair,” putting together beautiful spaces on a budget. Find out more about Angie in our exclusive Q&A below.
1. Tell us a little bit more about your decorating style in general, and what the story is behind your passion for decorating.
My style is rustic farmhouse. We live on a farm and I have always loved vintage finds and antiques. My style just grew from there.
2. What’s your source for design inspiration?
Other blogs, Pinterest, and magazines.
3. For A Handmade Holiday, did you find it difficult to integrate any of the colors into your design? How did you tackle it?
I loved the feeling of the red and green together but I really thought the silver would be a challenge. The ornaments sent from Balsam Hill, however, were the perfect addition and way to work in silver to the design. My favorites looked almost like mercury glass so they fit in perfectly with my rustic farmhouse style.
4. Do you have any tips on how to go about incorporating new colors into an existing holiday color scheme, or coming up with a new holiday color scheme?
Try a different color scheme regularly. This will mix up your holiday décor and keep you from being bored with the same old holiday decorations.
5. What’s your favorite way to personalize your holiday décor?
I love to add in ornaments that I have made. This small handmade touch is the perfect way to personalize your home.
6. What’s your current favorite project to do with your Cricut machine? Any advice for new Cricut users?
I am currently obsessed with the iron on heat transfer in glitter! It is amazing to work with glitter and not have any mess! For new Cricut users, don’t be afraid to jump right in. The machine is so user friendly that you will be creating in no time.
7. What was it like decorating with Balsam Hill products? What did you like most about them?
I loved everything that was sent from Balsam Hill. The tree of course is amazing and was so easy to put together. The ornaments were gorgeous and my absolute hands- down favorite were the silver glass ornaments!
8. Was there a Balsam Hill product by which you were particularly delighted? Why?
Those silver glass ornaments reminded me of vintage mercury glass which I personally love. So they definitely put me on cloud nine.
9. What’s your favorite part of the scene you created? Is there something different that you did this year that you particularly like?
I loved the Merry Christmas banner that I hung on the tree. I haven’t ever done anything like that so it was a little different for me but looks amazing.
10. If there’s one piece of advice you can pass on from all your years of decorating, what would it be?
Don’t be afraid to try new things and above all don’t be afraid to be yourself! If you love it, go for it! Remember this is your home!
Cheery, rustic and vibrant – Angie’s Christmas tree lived up to the challenge presented by A Handmade Holiday. Decked out in a warm yet elegant palette of red and silver, the tree was adorned with Balsam Hill’s Red, White and Sparkle ornaments.
Angie added vibrant touches of green, using her Cricut machine to create different accents such as Christmas countdown boxes and reindeer tags. For a closer look and design inspiration, check our Angie’s post on Country Chic Cottage.