Christmas trees are lovely to look at, but a fallen Christmas tree can be potentially dangerous for small children. Bright and sparkling lights and ornaments make your tree a beacon for children’s natural drive to satisfy their curiosity and need for tactile exploration. Sometimes, children get into accidents with common household objects, and your tree is no exception. Here are some ways to childproof your Christmas tree.
- Don’t leave the lights plugged. A lit-up Christmas tree is a fire hazard. It also posts the risk of electric shock to children who pull or chew on the wires. If you have a real tree and wish to leave the lights on, make sure that you use a younger tree as they don’t easily dry out. If the lights are not in use, be sure to cover the electrical outlet. Read This Entry